PCmover Enterprise Tutorial: File Based Migration Method
Overview: Some migration scenarios will require you to run a transfer even when you don’t have a way to directly connect the two PCs. In these scenarios, PCmover allows you to run a migration and save it as a file to a specified location. That file can then be uploaded to the new PC when ready or convenient.
Tutorial: This tutorial is designed to show how to modify a policy file so it can automatically save the PCmover migration to a predetermined folder location on your network.
- Open the PCmover Enterprise Policy Manager and navigate to the policy file you wish to modify (default policy file is MasterPoilcy.pol).
- Select the “Connections” tab
- Next to the “Enable Storage Device Transfer”, select the “Configure” button
- Under the “Van” field, enter the relative or absolute location for the directory with which you wish to save the PCmover Moving Van files (i.e. - \\network\PCmoverFolder\%USERNAME%.pcv)
- Environment variables are supported in file naming convention - %USERNAME% or %COMPUTERNAME% - but make sure to add .pcv as this is the PCmover File Type.
- Use Snapshot and Snapshot – These options are available if you wish to provide PCmover with a snapshot of the new PC. This can help create a smaller file size so no duplicate files or applications are saved from the old PC.
- Span Size and Span Notify – These options allow you to define how big PCmover should save incremental files and whether you should be notified. This option is good for burning CD/DVD to make the transfer
- Go to File -> Save to update your policy file.
PCmover Enterprise Client Tutorials
- General PCmover Enterprise Client Overview (2:26)
- Run PCmover Enterprise Client from Network or External Drive
- Pre-Migration Checklist
Policy Manager Tutorials
- General Policy Manager Overview (4:38)
- Saving a Master Policy File (0:50)
- Creating an Application Filter list policies (0:37)
- Creating a Directory Filter list policies (0:48)
- Predefine User Mapping policies (1:08)
- Configuring a policy for a File Based migration (1:22)
- Hiding the User Interface, Messages and other elements (0:57)
- Setting up email notifications and messages (1:02)
- Enabling auto-generated reports (1:27)