PCmover Enterprise Tutorial: Pre-Migration Checklist
Overview: Before performing a PC migration with PCmover, we recommend you first review the recommended pre-migration checklist to ensure your transfer will go smoothly.
Tutorial: This tutorial is designed to give you the proper setup needed to avoid any issues related to the migration or transfer process.
- Preparing for a PCmover Migration: The operating system on the new PC must be the same as or newer than the operating system on the old PC. The hard drive(s) on the new computer has as much or more disk space as that on the old computer.
- PCmover System Requirements: You can use PCmover on Windows 2000/XP/Vista/Windows 7 32-bit and 64-bit
- PCs on Network Domain: New PCs on a network domain should be joined to the domain prior to the migration.
- PC Power Settings: Screen savers, hibernation protocols, and power-saving options on both computers should be turned OFF. Both computers need to remain on and completely “awake” during the transfer and must not go into screen saver or sleep/hibernation mode.
- Computer Cleanup: Run Scan Disk or a similar disk checking utility, as well as anti-virus and anti-spyware software on the computer.
- Disable All Scheduled Tasks/Programs: Disable tasks or programs set to automatically run, as these will likely interfere with a PCmover migration.
- Exit All Programs: Exit all programs running on both computers (except PCmover). Turn off system tools such as virus scanners, spyware scanners, firewall software, and desktop search utilities on both PCs.
- Updates for Applications: On some occasions, older applications may need an update in order to run on a newer operating system. All Microsoft high-priority updates should be applied to the new PC before migration
- Hard Drive Backup: Laplink recommends you back up your hard drive prior to the Windows 7 upgrade with a backup utility, such as Laplink DiskImage: http://www.laplink.com/diskimage.
- PCmover Installation: Install PCmover on both the new and old PC. You can also run PCmover if it has been installed on a USB or other media.
- Internet Access: The old PC (source) will need to be connected to the Internet in order to validate the serial number. If the old PC is not connect to the internet click “No Internet Access” and follow the on-screen instructions. If an Internet connection is not available to you on either PC, please call your Corporate Sales representative.
- Internet Explorer: The new PC should have the same or newer version of Internet Explorer as that installed on the old PC.
- License Validation: You will need to validate the PCmover serial number that was issued to you on the OLD PC (Source) in order to perform a “Full migration”. This step will be done once PCmover is setup on the new PC.
- Reinstalling Certain Applications: System tools and music-sharing applications are unlikely to be migrated correctly to the upgraded PC. Laplink recommends that you have backup copies of these applications and reinstall them on Windows 7 once you have completed the upgrade.
- Administrator Level Permissions: On some operating systems, you will need Administrator-level permissions to do a migration.
- Application Compatibility: Not all applications are compatible with newer operating systems. Please check with the applications’ manufacturer(s) for compatibility before migrating to a new operating system.
- Application Versions: With the exception of Microsoft Windows and Internet Explorer, all migrating programs that are on both PCs should either be the same version on both PCs, or they should not be migrated at all.
PCmover Enterprise Client Tutorials
- General PCmover Enterprise Client Overview (2:26)
- Run PCmover Enterprise Client from Network or External Drive
- Pre-Migration Checklist
Policy Manager Tutorials
- General Policy Manager Overview (4:38)
- Saving a Master Policy File (0:50)
- Creating an Application Filter list policies (0:37)
- Creating a Directory Filter list policies (0:48)
- Predefine User Mapping policies (1:08)
- Configuring a policy for a File Based migration (1:22)
- Hiding the User Interface, Messages and other elements (0:57)
- Setting up email notifications and messages (1:02)
- Enabling auto-generated reports (1:27)